Sunday, April 09, 2006

First post

My hobbyist background is in music recording, and during the time between 2000/2001, I was living in a house where my bedroom was my control room. I had tons of recording equipment laying around my room, mostly dormant.

The girl who I was seeing at the time told me that I talked in my sleep. A lot. I'd always kind of known, but obviously never knew to what extent.

So, the natural course was to try recording a night of my sleep. Thus, on September 5th, 2001, I set up a mic pointed at my head in my bunk bed, attached it to my DAT recorder, and recorded 4 hours of my night.

The next morning, I was surprised to hear SEVERAL utterances that were not only fairly clear, but painfully hilarious. I tried again the next night and got some more stuff. I was pretty excited.

Then I stopped. It was a lot of work, recording to a DAT, then having to listen back to it. Even in hi-speed, it took a good 30-45 minutes to listen for anything--not to mention the time it took to capture the audio bites to my computer.

A year later, it dawned on me--cut out the stupid DAT middleman and record directly to my computer. The program I used, Cool Edit Pro, had a feature that allowed me to set a volume threshold and strip out anything that was below that threshold (basically, silence.) A 6 hour night of sleep was suddenly reduced to anywhere from 3 to 15 minutes of audio. This was much more manageable, so I started recording every night. I thought, "What better way to learn my TRUE inner voice, than to listen to myself talk in my sleep! Unfettered by social pressures and my slurry way of speaking." Of course, I found out I was a much bigger showboat in my sleep than awake. But it's still fun to listen to.

Since then, I've amassed over 200 distinct and semi-meaningful utterances.

The intent of this blog is to share these audio snippets with others, enmasse. I've shared them at small art parties and even had the opportunity to play them in between poetry readings on a night my sister performed. But this would be the first large-scale sharing of my blurtings.

So, hopefully I'll keep up with this and start posting some interesting audio files. I first have to find a simple and easily-repeatable way of posting these files without clogging too much bandwidth, or taking up too much time everyday. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

_Dandan

1 Comments:

Blogger Laura-Marie said...

Good luck! I hope you succeed because I want to hear!

Sun Apr 23, 11:52:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home